Praise the six, some GW2 news! Normally I’d get this stuff out on the day of the news but it’s been a while. The story picks up from the end of the Heart of Thorns story. We’ll be back playing Living Story in 2 weeks time on the 26th! With said news is a few things to note.
- You need to log in when the episode is live in order to unlock the episode for free on your account. You’ll have till the next episode is released (estimated to be around 2-3 months)
- You do not need to have Heart of Thorns to unlock Living Story episodes as stated in the previous point but you will not be able to play Living Story season 3 without Heart of Thorns and is intended for level 80 characters.
- If you buy Heart of Thorns later, any episodes you unlocked will become available to you
Living World Season 2 is currently 40% off if you do not have it and wish to play it.
The retired PvP map “Raid on the Capricorn” will be revamped and re-released as “Revenge of the Capricorn“. This map will be the regular 3 point capture style with no underwater point. The mechanic of the map will have a 4th capture point available periodically to be capped for extra points.
There will also be a new fractal called “Chaos Isles“. Elements of past fractals will be in this one and will be the start of an arc that will run in tandem with Living World Season 3’s plot line.
Major patches will now be six a year rather than quarterly (four a year). This includes the July 26th patch. So we might be looking at 2-3 more patches afterwards.
Now, the problem I have is that the July 26th patch also include balance changes which causes a few problems for PvP as it’s less prep for the Worlds qualifier tournament and 2 weeks prep for PvP Leagues. I am excited for living story again but that balance patch issue popping up could pose a problem for many. We’ll see how things go.
So I’ve talked about starting to write on Mattsta.Ninja recently and my first real post came out earlier this week! The post is about dungeons and how I feel that dungeons need a bit of a look over.
To summarize the post: without friends or guild mates, it’s exceedingly hard to queue up for dungeons. With the exception of Ascalonian Catacombs and maybe Twilight Arbor. Also, for dungeon specific rewards and tokens, it’s way easier and quicker to complete the dungeon’s PvP track then to actually run the dungeon multiple times. I also state that I think ArenaNet shouldn’t have crippled dungeon rewards just to promote other modes they’ll focus on in the future like raids and fractals; even if they don’t develop further for dungeons.
Worked quite a bit on that post so if you’d like to take a look at it in full, you can visit this link!
Mike Zadorojny delivered the news in a blog post today about a lot of changes surrounding Fractals of the Mists. Fractals are getting an update, we’re getting legendary backpacks and ascended salvaging in Heart of Thorns. So excited to share this so let’s get started!
Fractal Updates & Changes
– A Fractal run will be 1 fractal instance instead of 3 fractal instances + boss to complete the round. This is to reduce time spent needed to run a fractal but can still run the same amount of 3-4 if you want. This is also to ease players into fractals.
– Max level raised from 50 to 100, enemies will scale with other stats such as precision and toughness
– The mistlock instabilities are getting reworked in order to make them challenging the higher level you go
– The end of each fractal rewards a player with a fractal encryption lockbox which can hold the Mini Professor Mew, recipes (There’s one for ascended aqua breathers), high level crafting materials and more.
– Dessa’s Observatory will have a new Dessa krewe member NPC when Heart of Thorns releases. This NPC will sell fractal consumables which can stack on your other consumables.
– Fractal achievements will have it’s own tab
– Fractal dailies will be it’s own thing (like PvP dailies) with 3 daily scales a player can complete (1-20, 21-50, 51+) and a daily recommended fractal achievement
– Completing fractal scale 50 (I believe for the 1st time only) you’ll be rewarded with a fractal weapon crate from BUY-2046 Golem in the Mistlock Observatory in order to buy a fractal weapon skin of your choice
– New fractal weapon skins obtained in 51+ fractals can be converted into a new fractal weapon skin of your choice with a Mystic Forge recipe
– There will be Fractal of the Mists leaderboards
Man, I had a plan to get every legendary in this game. Now it got even harder. Much like with precursor crafting, making a legendary backpack will send you on a journey to complete challenges, boss encounters, and find items (for collections most likely). This journey will take you inside and outside of Fractals to create a backpack precursor.
The final step for making a legendary backpack is called Ad Infinitum. It will require components across Tyria, much like with Legendary weapons right now, and will require a new salvage item from ascended equipment.
Did I forget to mention ascended salvaging? Because it’s coming! All the extra ascended gear you’ve obtained will be salvageable. There will be new ascended salvage kits players can buy from the BUY-4373 golem. Armor pieces and weapons can grant you a “ball of dark energy” salvage item whereas trinkets, like rings, will grant you stabilizing matrices which will be needed for legendary crafting. Matrices can also be traded in for fractal encryption keys.
With collections that require you to get items to complete, there will be a sub-objective list that will be checked of as you finish each of them. Pretty much like the new Lion’s Arch karka hunting achievement.
The post ended by saying this is not the challenging content Colin told us about earlier this year which still has me interested in what it is. I’m very impressed with the direction fractals are going. Fractals is the time I spend least in Guild Wars 2 mostly because I hate pugging but the 1 fractal per round makes it a bit better and I might consider running them more. With all these new items, recipes and legendary backpacks, I’m definitely more inclined to run a few. It’s also time to collect and craft some ascended items! I just hope that I can use up my dragonite ore in these new recipes I get.